Abusing alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs isn’t just an adult problem. While we’d like to think that adolescents don’t have access to these substances, the reality is that they do.
Adolescents try alcohol, tobacco and other drugs for many reasons. They may be doing what other family members do. They may be trying to impress friends. They may be curious and seeking thrills. Or, they may be trying to dull the pain of their lives. Whatever the reason, it is dangerous behavior and the child is at risk of developing a pattern of substance abuse or addiction. Research proves that the earlier the intervention, the better the prognosis.
At the Axis I Center, our counselors work with children and adolescents, ages 6-18, who are involved in risky behaviors, have emotional problems, and/or need help with family problems. Because each young person and their family is different, we will tailor a plan that works for your unique circumstances.
Through our Adolescent Outpatient program, adolescents are taught life-skills needed to change behaviors that could result in negative consequences.
Programs for Adolescents include:
- Assessment, Screening, Referral and Consultation services for new clients.
- Outpatient programs are nonresidential and tailored to the needs of the adolescent client.
- All services for youth and teens are outpatient, meaning they can participate while living at home and attending school.
- Education & Intervention programs help clients make healthy and productive choices moving forward.
- Individual Counseling sessions allow clients to work with a certified councelor one on one to address substance use and /or any other concern such as grief, stress, trauma or anger which may be impacting your child’s behaviors.
- Family Support, since substance abuse and addiction involves the entire family, family members are strongly encouraged to attend the family sessions. Family support is available individually or as a family unit.
For more information, please call 803-541-1245.